Google officially changed Bard’s name to Gemini on February 7, 2024, and there are several reasons behind this:
1. Streamlining Brand Identity: Bard and Gemini were both names for Google’s large language models. By unifying them under “Gemini,” Google aims to simplify their brand identity and avoid confusion. Both the text-based and multimodal versions of the AI are now known as Gemini.
2. Reflecting Technological Advancement: “Gemini” carries a connotation of duality and versatility, which Google believes better reflects the advanced capabilities of the AI platform. It alludes to the model’s ability to handle various tasks and perform in different modalities.
3. Positioning for the Future: Google positions Gemini as its main AI assistant, potentially replacing Google Assistant in the future. The new name may signal a more ambitious vision for the platform, aiming to establish it as the “go-to” AI assistant.
- The name change came with other updates, including an Android app launch, a revamped user interface, and a premium subscription tier called “Gemini Advanced.”
- While the change is official, some functionalities like the mobile app are still limited (e.g., not available on iOS).
- Google hasn’t officially confirmed the reason for the name change, but the information above are based on the leaked changelog and speculations from tech experts.