Sam Altman is a prominent figure in the field of artificial intelligence and the CEO of OpenAI. Here are 10 facts you need to know about him in 2024:
- He is 39 years old and was born in St. Louis, Missouri.
- He studied computer science at Stanford University, but dropped out after his sophomore year to pursue his entrepreneurial ambitions.
- He was the president of Y Combinator, a prestigious startup accelerator, from 2014 to 2019, where he helped launch and fund hundreds of companies, including Airbnb, Dropbox, Stripe, and Reddit.
- He co-founded OpenAI in 2015, a research organization dedicated to creating and ensuring the safe and beneficial use of artificial general intelligence (AGI), which is AI that can perform any intellectual task that humans can.
- He became the CEO of OpenAI in 2019, after the departure of co-founder Elon Musk, who left over disagreements on the direction and vision of the organization.
- He is the creator of ChatGPT, one of the most advanced generative AI systems in the world, which can produce coherent and realistic text, images, audio, and video in response to user prompts.
- He is also the founder of Worldcoin, a cryptocurrency project that aims to distribute digital money to every person on the planet using a biometric scanner that verifies one’s identity through the eye.
- He is a vocal advocate for the regulation and ethical development of AI, and has warned about the potential dangers and challenges of unleashing superintelligent AI that could surpass human capabilities and control.
- He is reportedly meeting with executives from Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix in South Korea to discuss potential chip-making partnerships for OpenAI, as the demand for AI hardware grows exponentially.
- He is a frequent speaker and guest at various events and forums, such as the World Economic Forum in Davos, where he shared his insights and opinions on the future of AI and its impact on society, jobs, and the economy.