1) AT&T’s Bell Labs, which made the Multix operating system, is now part of Nokia.
2) Perhaps because of the sound of the name, it is often mistaken for a Japanese company. Even many Europeans think that Nokia is a Japanese company.
3) Nokia was once the world’s fifth-largest R&D spender. link. When Steven Elop went to Nokia Labs, he said good tech was rotting there.
4) As a company with a long history and once ranked No. 1 in R&D, there are a lot of IT-related patents. If Nokia has a patent battle with any IT company, it’s a at least a tie or a win. Apple lost, HTC suffered a lawsuit, and Google lost a patent lawsuit related to WebM against Nokia
5) The name of the company is derived from the name of the town where its headquarters was located at the time of its establishment. This village is near Tampere.